Saturday was a single-parent day for me as Jamie went with some friends to South Bend for the day to watch the Notre Dame football game. Katie had a birthday party in the afternoon, so we had to work our day around that. We did the Y in the morning, had an early lunch and an early nap. Lunch included some apple slices, which prompted Caroline to make some of her funny faces, and Katie got in on the act too. We all talk about how funny Caroline is and it's interesting to me that Katie is never jealous of that-- she just says "that girl cracks me up!"
I'll insert a sidebar story here: on Thursday night when Jamie was out I gave the girls a bath together. In just the few minutes that they were brushing their teeth, Caroline
So back to Saturday . . . after rest time we dropped Katie off at the birthday party, which was her first party without a parent there. With Jamie out of town, she knew the only way she could go was if she could handle being there by herself. She did fine until Caroline and I were about to leave and then she got a little concerned, but quickly came around as I assured her that her friend's mom had my cell phone number and would call if she needed me.
During the party time I took advantage of my 1:1 ratio and did the grocery shopping. Overall Caroline was good, but she has high expectations for the number of samples that she will get to eat, so I had to manage that situation. The highlight was when we got to the frozen foods and she lifted up her dress to put the frozen spinach on her tummy. We ran home and I put the groceries away while Caroline took her baby dolls on a shopping cart ride.
Then we got Katie from the party, went to the park and it was time to go pick up our girls dinner- Taco Bell. Daddy doesn't care for Taco Bell, buy the three of us love it. The girls devoured everything on their plates and I thought Caroline might even eat the wrapper that her taco came in. She was so content that she didn't even ask for ice cream afterwards.
That night Katie told me that she had been fine at the party, but one of her classmates who wasn't even four yet was also left there alone too. She said "I would never leave my child alone at a party if she was only 3." She often makes funny, adult-sounding comments!
Jamie got home late Saturday night, and we were both grateful that Katie did a good job staying quiet until 7:30 or so the next morning. After some lazy cartoon/newspaper time and making scrambled eggs for breakfast we split up to do some errands-- Katie and I won in both the length of time and dollars spent competitions while we were at Target. Jamie and Caroline's trip to Home Depot didn't come close in either category!
The girls enjoyed the show, but once we let Caroline out of her stroller she took off. Katie was sitting a few rows ahead of us in the amphitheater because she wanted to be in the shade. Caroline headed that way and then went right on by Katie on her way to the stage. If I hadn't gotten to her, I am 100% confident that she would have joined the cast of the show!

No comments:
Post a Comment