Sunday, February 08, 2009

Dog Days of Winter

I will start this week's post with a funny picture from last Monday. I was home over my lunch hour and let Lily out. Later, I looked out the window and found her sitting peacefully beside our snowman. Perhaps she needs a little more attention from the rest of us!

The week was busy, as they all seem to be. Caroline started a new habit of waking up about 30 minutes early so that she could get in some extra play time. I would go get her and she would say "I play downstairs for a few minutes". And she would play while I was still getting things organized in the kitchen and eating breakfast. It definitely made my mornings a little more hectic as I had to add pretending to eat play food to my morning to-do list. Thankfully, the weekend seems to have shifted Caroline back to her regular wake-up time.


Speaking of the weekend, it was a good one. I spent a lot of time running errands in preparation for our trip to Florida. When I returned home from getting my hair cut Saturday morning, the girls were playing in the market, Caroline on the cash register and Katie on the laptop. They told me they were "doing inventory" (I think Dad might have come up with that one).

Saturday afternoon Katie and I went shopping for her and she came home with a lot of new spring clothes, including our big expenditure of a really cute pair of shoes from Gap Kids. We both agreed that they were expensive for kids dress shoes, but we also both agreed we had to have them. I told her they were a lot of money and she said "Okay let's spend all of our money on these" I am sure they will be featured in an upcoming blog. Caroline also must have found them appealing because I later found the shoes had made their way into her closet!


Saturday evening Katie and Jamie had an Indian Princesses ice skating/broom ball outing. As they were preparing their equipment, Caroline got very interested as well and was quite determined that she was going to go too. Before they left, Caroline went ahead and put her own stuff in Jamie's hockey bag and then tried to drag the huge bag to the door. She quickly got over it as I distracted her by helping her try on her new swimsuit. She then decided she would wear it to bed. And then another distraction was needed . . .



Katie really enjoyed the broom ball and Jamie said her skating is improving. In fact, he called me from the rink to tell me how great she was doing.

Sunday we had church and stayed for donuts after- you know our girls hate to miss a chance to eat donuts! The rest of the day flew by in a blur of errands, chores and playing of course. The weather was warm and sunny, so all of our snow melted. Katie got to play outside with our neighbor Miranda and Lily enjoyed getting very muddy in the backyard (the one downside of spring weather).

Sunday night we celebrated Caroline's half birthday with cupcakes and she was very pleased. You may wonder about her attire here. As I said, it was warm, but not quite sundress weather! I had her trying on some things in preparation for Florida and once she rediscovered this dress she was not going to take it off. She has some very strong opinions about what she wears!

No comments: