Sunday, November 23, 2008

Preparing for the Holidays

We kicked off the holiday season with an outing to a holiday parade in the historic part of our city. It was very chilly, but fun. Caroline refused to keep her mittens on (that's her Canadian blood) and wanted to eat all of the candy that was passed out as soon as it arrived in her lap. We liked the animals the best- especially the miniature horses and the camels. There were also some cute little dogs- two dressed as reindeer pulling a tiny sleigh with a tiny Santa dog being pulled along.


After the parade Caroline was ready for a snooze and Katie was ready for some hot cocoa. Then I snuck out to meet a friend for some shopping and afternoon tea and left the rest of the crew to watch college football.

That night Katie and I got to work making her birthday party invitations. We will hold her party at a pottery painting place on her actual birthday, so we thought it would be fun for her to paint the front of the invitations. Now several days later we are still working on them (scanning, printing, trimming with decorative scissors and LOTS of pasting).

Sunday morning we received a special package from Santa. It's an Elf on a Shelf. The girls named him Elfie (after much debate) and he is one of Santa's helpers. Each night while we're sleeping he reports in to Santa and let's him know whether the kids have been naughty or nice and then he returns to our house and we find him in a new spot the next morning.
After we found this package and read Elfie's story, I mentioned that I heard a thump the night before and Katie was very busy finding clues all over our house. "This piece of the puzzle was missing and now it is found. I think Santa found it and put it back!", "a piece of candy is gone from my parade bag, I think Santa ate it", etc.


Sunday afternoon Jamie and Katie had another Indian Princesses event- this time at the bowling alley. They had a great time and enjoyed the funny bowling tricks they had to do- bowl on one foot, sit down, etc. Katie was the first name called for a prize and came home with a lovely glittering bowling pin. I can hardly wait to find a place to display it in our home. Especially as it leaves a pile of glitter wherever it has been!



No comments: