Sunday, April 01, 2007

Poppy's Birthday

The week started off warm and springy and I dove right into my new warmer wardrobe. On Monday after school I wanted to splash around in the backyard in my rainboots, but as you can see I did not want to get my skirt wet, so I just held it up in a very lady-like fashion. Thank goodness for bloomers!

On Friday we were off to South Bend to celebrate Poppy's 60th birthday. It was a very long drive, but I enjoyed myself with my new DVD player for the car, four movies to pick from AND a milkshake from Old McDonald's.

Saturday was gray and rainy-- not nice enough for Dad and Poppy to golf. But Mom & Dad got to go to the store together and finally found a new patio set and grill that they both liked. We will get them this week . . . in time for the forecasted snow!

Saturday afternoon Aunt Sharon came over for Poppy's birthday dinner to join us for his requested meal: Bruno's pizza and chocolate cake. We were not permitted to do anything beyond this, so we worked with what we had and got a "60" put on the pizza in pepperoni. We also broke out the candle that we saved from Grandma's birthday (much to Poppy's dismay), but the cake and ice cream were delicious. And I asked for seconds on frosting. After dinner Poppy opened his gifts. Along with some of his favorite treats, including cashews, we got him a gel-filled ant farm-- such a traditional 60th birthday gift! Poppy has to send away for his ants now so that he can get started. Grandma is not too happy about having ants in the house! Aunt Sharon and I had a terrific time playing and I hardly gave her any breaks from Strawberry Shortcake and coloring.

Caroline was scooching around like a maniac after everyone's shoes. We really have to pay attention to see what she's up to and what she is going after.

On Sunday morning Grandma and Poppy had a little Easter egg hunt for me, so I am all warmed up for next weekend. They hid jelly beans in the eggs and I managed to sneak about 27 more than Mom said I could have. Thankfully, this did not get me too sugared up for the drive home. As usual, I was entertained by packing them up in a basket and carrying them around. Mom and I even took them for a walk on the golf course.

We're looking forward to Easter at home, although the weather doesn't look like it is going to be very nice. I have been dying to wear my Easter dress, so we will have to add some tights and a sweater.










No comments: